Monday, June 15, 2009

Argent Dawn, How I Love Thee

I'm not a religious man, but ... Jesus Christ! I got into Silvermoon City with my paladin (on my way to drop of the necklace to Sylvanas, level 18, woo!) and people in trade were talking Swedish. Very bad Swedish on top of that. People had characters named "Pelleboy" and "Blödjägare" ("Bleed hunter") and other -extremely- silly names - no Gymliz or Legololases as far as I could see though...

I'm all for the whole "I don't identify with my character" but the character is not just a faceless tool with which you play a game, the stuff you put in is supposed to be a representation of that character, and not just a random nickname like the ones you throw around in Counterstrike. People with different characters that share a common name but with accents (someone in trade named Hùbert*" said "I'll log on Húbert*, he is a tank" when someone went LFM AN (in Swedish of course)) for ease of recognition within a guild should just get a better guild or go shoot themselves and rid the world of their filth. Anyone with their nickname and the character's class as the character name should be chemically castrated so that they cannot spread their genes further (no, they will not have breeded yet, cause they are going to be about fourteen year old, hideously mutated and possibly inbred too). They should then be repeatedly tortured, preferably by means of the Pear of Anguish.

I know I won't change anything, and I should be accepting their attitudes and playstyle, and that I sound just like any person more than ten years older than me going "when I was young...", but damnit! Some things are holy, and some things should just be that certain way. I blame the internet. The kids today don't remember a time before the internet, and while that is lovely and teh futar and all, I don't think it's all for good. They are still using it as a very blunt instrument, they are supposed to be "the digital generation" but I'd care to wager that my generation is a lot better at computer things than the kids of today, and not just cause we have had more time to practise!

Anyway. The way people act on Argent Dawn is how I expect normal people who play World of Warcraft would act. I'll never roll on a server that hasn't got naming rules again. Ever. Such a small thing really makes a huge difference - you'd think that the 14 year old snotlings would just come up with a random fantasy looking name and still plague our experience, but they don't. They simply cannot be there to the same extent, cause I'd have noticed. I've played more than 90% of my time on RP servers, and I've never quite seen anything like what I saw tonight. I can count the real douchebags (the type that goes "naa, I'd rather solo play" when asked if they want to group for five minutes when you are both killing the same quest mob) and totally clueless noobs on the fingers of one hand.

/rant.

* Fictious name to protect the innocent. The real name was equally silly however.

No comments:

Post a Comment