Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Some loose ends on tanking

So, downstairs I discussed why I'll probably always be a DPS player at heart. This is slightly interesting cause I'm considering levelling a tanking class, and I'll probably go for the only true hybrid class (the druid) or the close second (the paladin). Melee DPS can be done on Togtok, and as such, I'd have the core functions (healer, ranged DPS, melee DPS, tank) of the game covered.

I'll be leaving the Death knight out of this equation for now. I considered rolling one before Wrath hit to have a tanking class, but I'm not very interested in the lore and I find the class as such ... an abomination to the game. There, I said it. I think it's the stupidest thing Blizzard has implemented in a long while. I reckon it's a damn fun class to play, and I might have a look at one, but I'd sooner try a warlock or warrior since they are the classes I haven't rolled before (no, the level 8 warrior on Moonglade I made to chat with some friends does not count). Even though I'd hate doing the 1-55 grind again, not to speak of the 70-80 grind. However, I'm an officer of a guild. I'm gearing a second level 80 character up for raiding. I'm pretty deep in this shit already, might as well try and have something to do to keep me from getting the raid boredom and resulting burnout. I will have a lot of time on my hands, and with the right snacks and some kickass music, I think I can put in a serious effort towards it. The dilemma here is that I'd rather have several tanking classes and several healing classes than several different DPS classes - at best, I'd have to level 1 paladin, 1 warrior, 1 druid and 1 priest to have them all covered, and since pallyhealing does not appeal to me, I'd go with the priest, leaving my main project at two characters.

The remaining tanking classes all have some disadvantages that makes me not want to roll them, and some advantages speaking for them.

I'll begin with the warrior. The original tank, a versatile tank with lots of tools of the trade. I'd probably go orc, cause grunts are cool and look sturdy enough, plus, my druid's obviously tauren. I've heard they are a bitch to level though, and as "basic" they feel a little boring. I'm not sure I like the playstyle and I'm not sure I like the baggage that comes with the class. Somehow, warriors are expected to tank, and since I'd roll one to do just that, it shouldn't be a problem, but it still feels a bit like being locked in. Having a class not based on mana would be nice for a change though...

As for druids, they seem like the perfect one-target tank. That'd mean I'd probably spend a lot of time hitting the same mob, racking up threat so the DPS can go wild. I speak raid setting now, which is far in the future, of course. Being the real true hybrid (able to fill all four functions in a raiding environment) finding a group while levelling shouldn't be hard, and they seem easy enough to level with fairly little downtime. Gemming and enchanting two (or four) gearsets is gonna be a pain, but Togtok's self sufficient and he keeps 2.5 sets. Also, I have a level 14 one already, and on my main server. The downside? I don't particularly dig the shapeshifting that much. Constantly raiding as a non-cow (I'd probably go feral/resto) might get on my nerves. As they are the superhybrid, the talent trees don't leave nearly as much freedom of spec as the mage's three do and being locked into cookie cutters is boring.

Moving on to the paladin, my prime suspect here for one main reason: I have one at level 15, and I'm loving the playstyle so far. Downside? It's a mana based class, and I'm tired of those. Silencing mechanics lock you out of a lot of your abilities, luckily, such abilities are rare. The raid situation would most probably suit me, paladins are the embodiment of an offtank, good aoe abilities and a holy frisbee (I just love saying that). I think I'd be tasked with fun tanking missions simply by being a paladin - they always seem to get the offtank tasks such as picking up mobs or guarding special entrances. Another downside is that I'd have to play a belf for it, another race I'm not entirely friends with (look who's talking, I have three belf alts and if they'd been around back then, I'd probably rolled a belf mage instead of the troll one. Sorry, Vorla...) and for Pete's sake! THEY ARE LOLADINS. FOREVER AND EVER. I like saying "Hey, I changed my mind" or "I was wrong all along" a lot more than "Ha! Told you so!", even though it stings, so this will probably be my choice. Also, a belf paladin named "Audacity" is just too frickin' cool for lots of reasons, especially since I'd be levelling her along with my undead priestess "Prudense" (the good spelling was taken). I'm just a sucker for toons named after concepts rather than a random fantasy name. In the end, Auda is on a PvP server and I think I'm gonna give that a shot before transferring, I might like it. I'll probably count ten gankings and then give up, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment